Your privacy is our priority
Your data is important. It’s important to us, and we understand that it’s important to you. We are committed to safeguarding your information in line with the latest data protection and privacy laws. We also want to be transparent about what information we collect about you, how we use it, and how you can control what we do with this information.
Who are we?
Any reference to "we", "us" and "our" is to ITV Studios Limited (company no. 03106525) and its subsidiary companies. We are known as the “data controller” and you can contact us at email@example.com for more information about how we process your data, including how to exercise your rights as a data subject.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time and will post any changes on our website www.britishsoapawards.tv, so it’s a good idea to come back and read it again, from time to time. This privacy notice was last updated on 28 March 2019.
What information are we processing and why?
We obtain personal information about you when you vote via post or on the programme website. We need to process this information to ensure that the voting procedure is fair and accurate. The information we process will include:
- your name and address if you’re voting by post; or
- your name, email address, IP address, the browser you use, your email service and the date and time you voted if you’re voting on the programme website.
The processing of your information is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by us and our partners associated with processing the voting information. We have a legitimate interest in verifying that the vote has been cast by you and not a computer, that the vote is valid and that only one vote has been cast per person. We also have a legitimate interest in adjudicating the votes to ensure that the vote has been conducted fairly.
We also have a legitimate interest in understanding how people are using the website and we may use analytics for this purpose and to improve user experience.
Who else do we share your data with?
We will pass your information to our third party service providers so that they can facilitate, count, verify and adjudicate the vote on our behalf. When we do this, we will only do so in accordance with the applicable law and for the purposes set out in this privacy notice.
There may be circumstances where we disclose your personal data to other third parties. Again, this will only take place in accordance with the applicable law and for the purposes set out in this privacy notice. This may include disclosure:
- to third party service providers and consultants in order to protect the security or integrity of our business, databases and systems and for business continuity reasons, including any third party service provider used to screen communications for legal and regulatory compliance purposes; and
- to public authorities or regulators where we are required by law to do so.
How long do we keep your information?
We retain your information no longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this policy and to allow time to audit the voting process, should it be necessary. We envisage this to be 3 months unless voting information is required for audit purposes in which case it shall be deleted after the completion of such audit process.
It is possible to switch off cookies by setting your browser preferences. For more information on how to switch off cookies on your computer, visit our full cookies policy. Turning cookies off may result in a loss of functionality when using our website.
What are your rights and how can you use them?
Any personal information you supply will be treated in accordance with applicable data protection laws including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and any other applicable or superseding legislation. We are committed to delivering the rights that individuals are entitled to under data protection laws in the UK. These include:
- the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to the ITV Privacy Team at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London, EC1N 2AE, making clear that you are requesting a copy of your personal information and including full details of what you require. You may also be required to submit proof of your identity;
- the right to object to your personal information being processed where the legal basis for the processing is our own legitimate interests as a business (see ‘what information are we processing and why?’ section above). We will comply with such a request unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so, such as when we need to continue to process your information to defend a legal claim;
- the right to rectification. You may request that we correct any inaccurate and/or complete any incomplete personal information.
- the right of erasure. You may request that we erase your personal information and we will comply, unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so. For example, there may be an overriding legitimate ground for retaining your personal information, such as keeping your payment information for several years to comply with HMRC rules.
- the right to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may request that we provide your personal information to you in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and have it transferred to another provider of the same or similar services to us. Where this right is applicable, we will comply with such transfer as far as it is technically feasible. To submit a request please contact us at email@example.com or by writing to the ITV Privacy Team at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London, EC1N 2AE, making clear that you are requesting a copy of your personal information and including full details of what you require. You may also be required to submit proof of your identity.
- the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority. We suggest that you contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to the ITV Privacy Team at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London, EC1N 2AE about any questions or if you have a complaint in relation to how we process your personal information. Additionally you have the right to complain to the relevant supervisory authority, which in the UK is the Information Commissioner’s Office.
The Information Commissioner’s Office
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) regulates our processing of your personal information. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO. Details of how to contact the ICO can be found on their website at ico.org.uk.
If you want to ask us anything about this policy or for more information about how we process your data, including how to exercise your rights as a data subject, please contact us at email@example.com or by writing to the ITV Privacy Team at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London, EC1N 2AE.